Aquaponic Pioneer, Murray Hallam, Set to Come to Ingenuity for Aquaponic Retreat
Murray Hallam Set to Come to Ingenuity Innovation Center
World famous Aquaponic Pioneer, Murray Hallam, will be coming to Ingenuity Innovation Center on September 15th, 2014 and will be presenting on a variety of aquaponic events over the course of three (3) days. Ingenuity Innovation Center recently landed enough interest to bring Murray here to do an event after he presents at the National Aquaponic Association in California.
“It all just happened by surprise,” stated Kate Wildrick. “We are just so excited and honored to have such a great master and teacher come and lead an aquaponic retreat here at Ingenuity. His work has certainly inspired us to pursue aquaponics as one of our first sustainable projects that we can share with others. We never thought we would ever have the chance to thank him in person for all that he has done. Now we can!”
Who Is Murray Hallam?
Murray is probably the best known face in the world wide aquaponics movement. He discovered aquaponics in 2006 and immediately put his skills to work and founded Practical Aquaponics in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Since then, he has continuously revised both hobby and commercial sized systems. He is an incredible wealth of knowledge and has served as a researcher and innovator in the aquaponic community for all sized systems ranging from small hobby backyard projects all the way up to commercial ventures. He has been a strong advocate in education which can best be seen with his online presence on YouTube and through his DVD series.
Ingenuity Innovation Center is very excited to have Murray out to teach at this retreat which include the following events:
Monday, September 15th
6 PM to 9 PM – Join us on Monday, September 15th, 2014 for An Evening with Murray Hallam. Ingenuity Innovation Center will be hosting a dinner and talk with Murray. Ingenuity Innovation Center will be serving up a home cooked, organic GMO-free dinner. Afterwards, we will launch into an interactive talk where Murray will share some of his observations about the value of aquaponics and where he believes this movement is going.
Tuesday, September 16th
9 AM to 12 PM – In this exciting 3 hour workshop, Murray will introduce what an aquaponic system is, how it works and why it is yields such an incredible amount of produce in his Introduction to Aquaponics Workshop. We’ll cover:
- Aquaponics from my perspective. Aquaponics is an ECO system
- Short history of Aquaponics
- Cycling the system. Nutrient basics. Nutrient bank. Nutrient delivery system.
- Different types of systems and system components, grow beds, pumps, fish tanks.
- How does it work. Basics of plumbing a system
- Start up check list.
12 PM to 1 PM – Take a break and enjoy a healthy, organic and GMO free lunch.
1 PM to 5 PM – In this exciting 4 hour workshop, Murray will build on the foundational knowledge in this informative Intermediate Aquaponic Workshop. We’ll cover:
- A quick review from the Introduction to Aquaponics Workshop.
- What pump is best, and how they’re different. Pump head.
- Design parameters. Use of locally available materials.
- How best to feed my fish. Black soldier fly larvae (BSF), water weeds, worms and the like)
- Selecting a fish species for my home system
- What plants can I grow in my home system
- Water quality parameters.
- Basic system maintenance and troubleshooting
5 PM to 6:30 PM – Tour of the Ingenuity Innovation Center
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM – Join Murray and the founders of the Ingenuity Innovation Center for an intimate dinner and conversation.
Wednesday, September 17th
7 AM to 8 AM – Enjoy a home cooked breakfast that is prepared with all natural ingredients.
8 AM – 5 PM – On day two, we will learn advanced techniques and explore design considerations for small and large scale aquaponic systems in the Advanced Aquaponic Workshop. Lunch will be included along with light snacks along with breaks in the morning and afternoon. We’ll cover:
- A quick review from the Introduction to Aquaponics Workshop and the Intermediate Aquaponic Workshop.
- Advanced system maintenance and troubleshooting:
- Understanding basic water testing methods, including pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.
- Fish handling including fish health.
- Natural methodologies for nutrient management. How to have nutrient dense produce.
- Then we will dig deeper into home and small commercial systems and cover additionally;
- Horticultural lighting,
- Nutrient deficiencies,
- Plant diseases,
- IPM Integrated Pest Management,
- Water quality issues in depth,
- Filters, types and application.
- Aquaponics farm key considerations,
- System plan sets and features for home and small commercial,
- Small farm spreadsheet costing and planning.
5 PM – Closing and departure.
Aquaponic 2-Day Retreat Package
For people who are interested in taking all of Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s classes, we have arranged an all inclusive package that includes food and camping accommodations at Ingenuity Innovation Center. For more information, click here.
Space is limited. Early registration for this event is highly encouraged. Please, no walk ins.